Appropriate apparel and cleanliness of a person is important as a matter of health and aesthetics as well as being conducive to learning. With the rapidly changing styles of clothing, it is impossible to specify everything that is acceptable for student dress. A good rule to follow is that if there is doubt concerning the appropriateness of your clothes for school, DO NOT wear them until you check with your school's administration.
Dress code violations will be handled through team and/or school discipline policy. If a student comes to school dressed inappropriately, then the student must change clothes to meet the school dress code before he/she may return to class. If a student incurs multiple dress code violations, a discipline referral for ISS will be enforced.
In order to preserve discipline and order in the school and create a proper and safe learning environment, the following dress code will be enforced at all times:
- For girls, dresses, skirts, jeans, shorts, and slacks are appropriate for school wear. For attire regarding length: shorts, dresses, and skirts shall be no more than 3 inches (an index card) above the knee. 2) Sheer apparel, bare midriffs and/or backs, very low necklines (no cleavage), strapless tops, tank tops, and spaghetti straps are not permissible. Skin-tight pants, such as jeggings, leggings, yoga pants, etc. may only be worn when otherwise permissible clothing is worn over them. If in doubt, check with an administrator.
- For boys, jeans, slacks, shorts, sport shirts, jerseys, and tee shirts are appropriate. Tank tops ARE NOT appropriate. Shorts shall be no more than 3 inches (an index card) above the knee. Button type shirts should be properly closed and belts buckled. Pants must cover undergarments and must be worn securely at the hips or waist.
Girls and Boys
- No pants and/or jeans may be worn that are ripped, torn, or have holes where skin and/or undergarments are exposed.
- No tinting, streaking, or dying of hair other than natural hair color (blond, brunette, black, auburn) unless approved by administration. Unnatural hair colors include the following: blue, green, purple, pink, burgundy, etc.
- Hair must be worn appropriately so it does not interfere with students' vision or the teachers' and/or administrators' ability to maintain eye contact.
- All straps should be fastened at the shoulders.
- No hats, caps, gloves, sunglasses, chokers or bracelets that could be harmful, or any head covering will be worn on school campus unless for religious or medical purposes except when approved by the administration.
- Other prohibited items include: (1) large, long, and/or heavy chains, (2) studded or chained accessories, and (3) sleepwear, including bedroom slippers.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- No clothing or other displays of suggestive, sexual or profane wording, symbols or advertising of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal products will be permitted. This also applies to the advertising of non-sanctioned groups and organizations.
- No gang-related markings or tattoos are permitted. Clothing that suggests gang affiliation or racially offensive subject matter will not be tolerated.
- Visible body piercing and other cosmetic alterations that are detrimental to the educational environment or to the health and safety of the student or other students is prohibited.
Any other questionable attire will be handled on an individual basis at the discretion of the administration. The school administration may adjust this policy at anytime during the school year.